07 Aug Festival Program Launched
The Mintaro Progress Association are proud to announce the release of the Clare Valley Festival of the Lamb Program 16 – 22 September 2020.
Ross Mallett Chairman of the Mintaro Progress Association says, “ This inaugural festival will be a true celebration of what the Clare Valley has to offer with events across 10 venues featuring over 15 chefs showcasing the produce from 6 local lamb producers and with 10 wineries matching their wines to these culinary experiences. Plus, there are farms tours, industry lunch and our own Mintaro lamb sausages using the recipes designed in 2018 by our community.”
Simon Millcock the event coordinator says, “The focus for the festival has been on the villages of Mintaro, Sevenhill, Watervale and Auburn. It has been wonderful to see the enthusiasm by both the chefs and farmers as they identify ways of showcasing the lamb and think of how they can continue to feature the great local produce on a regular basis.”
Key events include:
Wed 16 Plains Producer Community Story Telling and Open Air Cinema – Mintaro Oval (no admission fee but only 300 tickets and booking is essential) 6pm gates open https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/clare-valley-festival-of-the-lamb-plains-producer-open-air-cinema-tickets-115547693261
Bring your deck chairs / rugs and sit back to watch on the big screen the images of the Clare Valley sheep industry before enjoying the 1975 feature film Sunday Too Far Away. Purchase some of the legendary Mintaro and Muleteer Lamb Sausages prepared by National Award winning Clare butcher Jason Mathie with the special recipe developed in Mintaro in 2018 as part of an international chef exchange and featuring lamb from Martindale Farm and Mitchell Farm (Mintaro).
Thur 17 Industry Day – Sheep Industry Tour and Lunch (ticketed event)
Tour plus lunch $100pp https://www.eventbrite.com/e/clare-valley-festival-of-the-lamb-industry-tour-and-lunch-tickets-115547994161 Lunch only $70pp https://www.eventbrite.com/e/clare-valley-festival-of-the-lamb-industry-lunch-tickets-115548926951
This day includes tours of historic sheep stations in the region Bungaree and Martindale Farm and leading Australian sheep dog trainer David Kellock at Kelvale Kelpie Stud. Hear from the farmers about the history and the future. The luncheon features keynote speaker Warwick Powell, Chairman of BeefLedger who have a focus on developing links between regional Australia and the markets of Asia. Plus, Hon John Dawkins MLC will provide a presentation on the need for wellbeing.
Sunday 20 Wool and Fibre Fair Mintaro Institute Mintaro 9am – 3pm (free event)
Featuring local artisans and their use of wool in an exhibition / market with Knitting, Felting and Spinning workshops exhibitions: https://www.facebook.com/Clare-Valley-Festival-Of-The-Lamb-Wool-and-Fibre-Fair-101308511677875/
Festival venues have started taking bookings and given the limited capacity of many bookings should be made early so as not to miss out. They include:
- Paulett Wines & Bush DeVine Café Polish Hill River Fri 18 – Long Lamb Lunch degustation of lamb showcasing the versatility and deliciousness that lamb can offer and featuring Chef Thomas Erkelenz matched with their wines and hosted by owner Will Gwen Jones.
- Magpie and Stump Hotel Mintaro Sat 19 – Three course dinner ‘Meet the Maker’ featuring Kevin Mitchell and his Woodvale hand Crafted Clare Valley Wines plus they will have lamb Burgers and Yiros for lunches and dinners throughout the festival.
- Reillys Mintaro Long Lamb Lunches & Dinners – Sat 19 & Sun 20 with two sittings each for a 4 course menu showcasing Mintaro lamb alongside Reillys hand crafted, estate grown wines.
- Mintaro Mews Mintaro Friday 18 to Sunday 20 – A Poetic Weekend Date with Lamb 2 Nights Bed & Breakfast, 2 Sumptuous Evening Gourmet Lamb Meals with accompanying Mintaro Wines & poetry by Local Winemaker, Peter Houldsworth of Mintaro Wines.
- The Rising Sun Hotel Auburn Sat 19 – ‘Nose to Tail in Old Stables’ a 4 course dinner by The Rising Sun Hotel’s Head Chef Phil Scarles featuring Clare Valley Lamb by Wunderbar Lamb and featuring Matriarch & Rogue wine.
- The Rising Sun Hotel Auburn Sun 20 – ‘Lamb on the Lawn’ BBQ/Grill lunch get together your friends/family or both and come on down for a relaxing afternoon out on the lawn.
- Watervale Hotel Watervale Sunday 20 – The ‘Fires of Hell’ BBQ will be fired up for the first time along with a six-course degustation lunch prepared by Nicola Palmer with paired wines from Kirrihill and Farrell wines. Senator Don Farrell, Shadow Minister for Tourism and ex-Senator Sean Edwards of Kirrihill will be at the roast talking about the way forward for Australia, the Clare Valley, Tourism and Wine.
- Penobscot Farm Watervale and Watervale Hotel Tues 22 – Finale Spring Equinox Tour and Dinner includes Penobscot Farm Tour. The organic, bio-dynamic Penobscot Farm, home to Nicola Palmer and Warrick Duthy will be open to the public for the first time. This will be followed by a six course degustation dinner at the Watervale Hotel prepared by Chef Nicola Palmer, assisted by Chef Outta Water’s International Chef Michael Brine.
- Skillogalee Winery Restaurant will have on each day of the festival a special Lamb dish on their menu plus a glass of Skillogalee Cabernet to compliment.
Visit these venues websites or the Mintaro Progress Associations website for further details http://www.mintaro.sa.au/news/
For further information or to get involved contact Clare Valley Festival of the Lamb coordinator Simon Millcock on 0407819000 or email [email protected]
This festival has been made possible through funding support from the Australian Government by way of the Building Better Regions Fund, the Clare and Gilbert Valleys Council, and Meat and Livestock Australia.